Wednesday, April 27, 2011

PSN - Awaiting the Next Kevin Butler Commercial

With the recent update from Sony saying that people may have had personal information stolen, I finally feel the need to post my first blog entry.

What the hell, Sony? As one of the biggest electronics companies in the world, how could something like this happen? How could you, a company that has between 50-100 million people using it's PSN service, not have the security to avoid something like this?

Now don't get me wrong, Sony. I am not putting the blame entirely on you. I know the true blame goes to the hacker(s) out there who have possibly stolen this information whether it be for a rush, to purposely hurt others, or even prove a point. However, millions have paid for a product that should be protecting private information for those who purchased it. And if that wasn't bad enough, then the information was held from the public and even worse, the people who it may be effecting. Now, you may not have known exactly how problematic this was going to be. You may not have expected it to take this long. Hell, half the time I'm not sure you know what the hell you're doing at all. But the minute the information from one of your PSN members is possibly at risk, they deserve to know. Instead, you kept everyone in the dark.

I, fortunately, delete all my billing information after I place my order. Now, I don't know if they know a way around this to still find that information, but if not, than I luckily don't have to worry about it. Millions out there, on the other hand, are SOL. It also doesn't help that I tend to use the same username and password most places I go. So now I'm having to take the time to think of any possible site I don't want a hacker to get to and change the password to something I doubt I'll remember within 20 minutes.

So to basically sum this up, Sony...you fucked up. Not a minor scratch, nor a blemish, but you have been left bloody and broken in a dark alleyway left with nothing but some change for a phone call. What you choose to do from here will be a factor to many about whether or not they want to continue with the playstation brand. Stepping up your security is a good move and hopefully that will prevent this from happening again. Hopefully you provide some sort of apology for the inconvenience and something to do to make up for it (and this means something more than the normal PR "oops, we messed up. But dont' worry, we'll still provide the same fantastic experience the PSN offers" garbage). And what I want to see the most is for the ones responsible for this hack attack to be caught. I want to know people like that don't get away with it and put at least a tad bit of fear into others who think they should try something along the same lines. But even with these thoughts, I know many will feel it's not enough and that you have alienated them regardless of what actions you take. What's done is done, and the trust and faith of your PSN service has been broken.

The ball is in your court, Sony.

No comments:

Post a Comment